So again, this class was PERFECT for me. And this sweet and savory dip was a suprising treat.
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 4 slices of cooked ham, chopped
- 3 TBSP cherry preserves
- 1/3 cup toasted pecans (you could do walnuts too!)
- 2 TBSP chopped green onion
- 1 box Pecan Nut Thins (this is a must... I just LOVE these crackers and they compliment the dip!)
- In a medium bowl, stir together all of the ingredients.
- Spread on crackers and enjoy!
Yep, that's it! But let me share an easy tip with you about toasting nuts. I had no idea how easy this was but it completely changes the flavor. Don't believe me? Try a regular pecan, untoasted. Now follow these directions and try the toasted pecan. You'll never go back!
So, here is what you did. Just throw the desired amount of pecans (or walnuts) on a cookie sheet and pop in an oven that is preheated to 350. Check on them after 2 minutes. Stir and test their flavor. Repeat the process for however long is necessary. But be careful, go over 4 minutes and they might scorch! Now just chop and throw into your Cherry, Pecan and Ham spread.
I know these aren't mind-blowing tricks, but hey, this is The Rookie Chef. You aren't here for gourmet ;)
Like I said before, this dip was a great change of pace. A little sweet, a little savory, and totally unique.
Want to know what's in that drink? Check out the recipe HERE.
Source: Nina Swan-Kohler