Speaking of October, I have big plans for Halloween this year. Okay that might be a lie, but I have some fun treats I am dying to make for coworkers. Stay tuned for those! In the meantime, these oh-so-good bites are appropriately named for Halloween... DEVILS ON HORSEBACK!
Ask me why they're named that. Do it. And I'll show you the best shoulder shrug I've got! Regardless, these little bites are great for a rich and delicious appetizer.
- 24 prunes (don't knock 'em! They're delicious dried plums!)
- 12 strips of bacon. This is a pack of bacon, folks.
- Bleu cheese crumbles. I don't know how much to tell you to use, just eyeball it to your tastes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and soak 24 toothpicks in water. Just throw 'em in a cup and let them chill out while you prepare the rest.
- Slice the prunes down the middle but not all the way through.
- Cut your bacon strips in half.
- Now stuff some bleu cheese in the 'pocket' you made within the prune. Wrap one of those half strips of bacon around the stuffed prune. Repeat for all your little devils.
- Place on a baking sheet and cook until the bacon is crispy (20-25 minutes-ish).
- Remove toothpicks before serving.
I don't want to hype these up to much because they are SO, so simple... but oh my goodness! Divinity in one sweet and smokey bite!
Source: A spin on Martha