- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 8 oz sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- Raspberry preserves
- Fresh raspberries for garnish
- Half a block of cream cheese (for the surprise!)
- Cream cheese frosting
- Heat oven to 350 and place your cupcake liners in the pan.
- Mix the top five items (cake mix, sour cream, eggs, oil, water) together in a large bowl. The batter will be thicker than what you're used to. And that's a good thing, it's delicious!
- Fill your cupcakes a little less than 2/3 full.
- Now cut up your block of cream cheese into little pieces.
- Add one piece of cream cheese to each cupcake, gently pressing down into the batter.
- In a separate bowl, stir together some of your raspberry preserves. This helps make them smooth and easier to work with.
- Add a dollop of preserves on top of your cream cheese piece. This bakes into the cupcake to be a yummy surprise!
- Bake approximately 20 minutes until tops start to brown a bit. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Now frost with cream cheese frosting and add a fresh raspberry for flavor and flair!
These were a HOT item at the block party! The kids loved them as much as the adults. Of course I had the luxury of trying one (errr, two) before heading out the door.
Aren't they pretty? Trust me, they're as delicious as they look. The sour cream added really gives a nice texture and flavor to the cupcake. Don't worry, it doesn't taste like sour cream... just creamy! The little surprise of cream cheese and raspberry preserves was fun but I think it couldn't have used a bit more raspberry. In fact, next time I make these I'll probably do a raspberry cream cheese frosting to really carry the flavor through a bit more.
Regardless, I'd still call this cupcake a tasty success!
Source: Betty Crocker