It all started when I made a rainbow cake. After that turned out so adorable I was hooked! I don't remember the process of making mini multi-colored cupcakes to be so time consuming but I suppose I wasn't trying to keep an eye on an 8 month old baby back then either ;) Probably factors in!
So anyway, here is how to make these ridiculously simple cupcakes. Feel free to use them with your favorite team colors!
- 1 box white cake mix (mmm, Pillsbury French Vanilla!)
- Whatever the box calls for (eggs, water, oil)
- Food coloring of choice
- Prepare cake batter as the box states.
- Separate batter into two different bowls.
- Add food coloring of choice until you reach desired color. I'll admit, I used an entire bottle of blue liquid food coloring and entire small Wilton jar of orange gel food coloring. It's hard to get those bright colors!
- Now add a little blue to the cupcake liners, then a little orange. Repeat as necessary! Don't worry about them being even. It looks better when they're a little crazy!
- Bake at 350 until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
I told you they were easy :)
And HOW FUN!
I did make a few regular sized versions, but the "Bear Bites" (aka NFL Minis) were a much bigger hit at the party.
Truth be told, I had good intentions to do striped blue and orange frosting swirls on all of them. But as I mentioned above, I ran out of food coloring! So then I debated just doing plain frosting, but I thought it might distract from the overall fun level... so I left them plain. They were gobbled up regardless.
And until next season, one last time... GO BEARS!