- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 2 TBSP shortening
- 4 tsp cocoa powder
- 2 TBSP evaporated milk (I used heavy cream, it was all I had)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- In a bowl, combine sugar, corn syrup, shortening, and cocoa. Mix well and pour into a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer until temperature reaches 275 degrees (use your candy thermometer!)
- Allow to cool for about ten minutes; add evaporated milk and vanilla.
- Use an electric mixer to beat until very thick.
- Scrape candy onto a lightly greased cookie sheet and allow to cool.
- When cool, mold pieces into desired shape!
Aren't those adorable?! Although I have to admit, they were more tricky than making caramels. And I believe I let it reach 275 degrees for a bit too long before cooling because I scorched some of the candy in the bottom of my saucepan. A few of the first ones I rolled into tootsies were a little crunchy because they had a mix of some scorched candy included. After discarding all of the hard/scorched portion, I rolled the rest. And THOSE turned out awesome! The texture was a little more sticky than a regular tootsie roll, but that may have had something to do with me using cream instead of evaporated milk. I would say the flavor was pretty darn close though!
Overall I would call them a success. I definitely plan on trying these again!