But then I stumbled upon this recipe! Oooh I'm so glad I did.
- 3 chicken breasts
- Medium onion, sliced
- 8 ounces sliced white mushrooms (I just used 2 cans of the sliced mushrooms, drained)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 and 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 4 TBSP all purpose flour
- 2 TBSP lemon juice*
- 2 TBSP balsamic vinegar
- 1 and 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Pour oil into a casserole dish
- Add chicken, onion and mushrooms, turning to coat with oil
- Bake 5 minutes; turn chicken over and stir veggies
- Bake an additional 5 minutes
- Meanwhile in a bowl, whisk flour into chicken broth. Add vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper, stirring well
- When chicken has cooked for 10 minutes, add broth mixture and cover casserole, cover with foil and bake 10 minutes
- Remove foil, stir vegetables and bake unconvered until sauce bubbles and it's slightly thickened (about 10 minutes)
- Heat broiler
- Turn chicken over. Place dish 6 inches from heat and broil until chicken just starts to turn golden, 3-5 minutes.
Did you see my * above? I thought this chicken was a little heavy on the lemon flavor. I would cut this back to 1 TBSP, but that's just our personal preference. The sauce was great though and it had an amazing consistency to soak into hunks of french bread!
Oh, and my apologies for the picture, it was still steaming when I snapped this shot. We were STARVING so I just wasn't going to wait until this cooled down either!