So as a little trip down memory lane and a treat to my belly, I set out to make these Olive Garden imposter breadsticks.
- FOR THE DOUGH:
- 1 pkg. active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp.)
- 4 1/4 cups all purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter, softened
- 2 TBSP sugar
- 1 TBSP fine salt
- FOR THE BUTTER TOPPING:
- 3 TBSP unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- pinch of dried oregano
- Make the dough: Place 1/4 cup warm water in the bowl of a mixer; sprinkle in the yeast and set aside until foamy, about 5 minutes. Add the flour, butter, sugar, fine salt, and 1 1/4 cups plus 2 T. warm water; mix with dough hooks until a slightly sticky dough forms.
- Knead the dough by hand on a floured surface until smooth and soft.
- Roll into a 2 foot long log; cut into 16 even pieces.
- Knead each piece slightly and shape into a 7 inch long breadstick; arrange 2 inches apart on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Cover with a cloth; let rise in a warm spot until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Make the topping: Brush the breadsticks with 1 1/2 T. melted butter and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. kosher salt.
- Bake until lightly golden, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining 1/4 tsp salt with the garlic powder and oregano.
- Brush the warm breadsticks with the remaining 1 1/2 T. melted butter and sprinkle with flavored salt.
These were delightful! I will admit, they don't look or taste like Olive Garden breadsticks but they had a delicious flavor and texture. Definitely a yummy bread to make for dinner.
Source: Cooking Katie