So what's a girl to do? FRY IT, BABY! So I found an extremely simple beer batter recipe and gave it a whirl!
- Tilapia filets
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of beer
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl blend your egg and beer together, then quickly stir into the flour mixture.
- Don't worry if the batter is a little lumpy
- Heat oil (about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in a skillet) in a frying pan until extremely hot*
- Now lightly dust your tilapia filets and dunk into your beer batter mix
- Fry until golden and crisp, then drain on paper towels
This batter was exceptional! And I can't believe how easy it was. Did you see my little * above regarding the hot oil? Here is a trick for you. To test if the oil is hot enough, drip one little drop of water into the pan of oil. If the oil pops and crackles it's ready to roll!
This batter would be great for onion rings too! Mmm, onion rings...