Ahhh, the final class. This is where I get to pool all of my knowledge from the past few classes and create a fabulous looking cake, right? WRONG! Man oh man that Wilton rose is tricky! And I have to admit, I had BY FAR the ugliest cake in the class. I mean these gals were cranking out roses and designs like they had done this before. Oh well, I certainly learned a lot and had a great time. I even signed up for the next course so hopefully I improve!
For my final class I made a white cake (yay box mix!) with a mixed berry filling. I won't bore you with the details of the cake making, but you might want the recipe for the berry mixture!
- 2 cups frozen berries. I used this bag of mixed berries:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 and 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 TBSP cold water
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- In a saucepan, heat the berries and sugar until the berries begin to release their juices.
- Mix the cornstarch with the cold water and lemon juice until lump free, then stir the slurry into the berries.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Let cool and then fill your cake!
Now, for the decorating...
I put my BEST rose on top... which quickly got squished on the ride home before I took a picture of it. Oh well!
My coworkers seemed to enjoy it...