So let me explain that I recently enrolled in Wilton cake decorating course 1. Each course is broken out into four 2-hour classes. You meet one day a week for a month. During the first night of class we learned how to make buttercream frosting and beginning tips (I was really suprised with all of the great tips I learned!). We were asked to bring a frosted cake to the second class and we would actually begin the decorating process during that class.
I didn't want to have a boring old cake, so I went with a wild rainbow cake!
- 1 box white cake mix (or make your own, but after you've made four batches of buttercream you're not in the mood to whip up a cake from scratch!)
- Whatever the ingredients are for the mix (usually egg whites, oil and water)
- Food coloring
- Mix up the cake mix as directed. Then seperate the cake batter into multiple different bowls (depending on how many colors you want your rainbow cake to have).
- Add food coloring to each bowl:
- Now mix it up so your colors are bright and vibrant!
- In a lightly greased cake pan, start dropping random blobs of the different cake colors. Don't worry about having a plan, just go color crazy!
- Bake cake as directed
And there you have it! Rainbow cake. After my cake cooled I prepared it for class by adding a lemon curd filling and then frosting the outside with my homemade buttercream. After my class was over, my masterpiece looked like this:
Definitely not as easy as I thought it would be! But it was a lot of fun and I was really happy with the outcome. Oh, but the BEST part in my opinion was the inside... here is what the rainbow cake looked like after my coworkers got ahold of it the next morning:
I'm excited to see what we learn in the next class. Hopefully my frosting skills improve ;)